I had the chance to be invited by Asian Food Channel (AFC) and DBS Indulge to attend Chef Osvaldo Forlino DBS Masterclass at AFC Studio. Some of us may make the connection to Italian fine-dining restaurant, Forlino, at Fullerton which Chef Osvaldo set up in 2008. He is no longer with the establishment and has now 2 of his own restaurants, No Menu and Ristorante Amarone located at Boon Tat Street and Capital Tower respectively. Another restaurant, focusing on seafood, will soon be opening at Marina Bay Financial Centre too.
So as you can probably imagine, I am very excited to be picking up tips from such a experienced Italian Chef! Chef will be demonstrating some simple recipes that you can replicate at home. DBS Masterclass seeks to present opportunities to learn and taste dishes from reowned chefs to the general public, a great proposition.
Spacious and well equipped afc studio located in the heart of Somerset, Orchard Central. Now you can even head to Dean and Deluca after your session to pick up some ingredients for home!
Featured recipes of the night include Salted Cod with Mashed Potatoes and Porcini Mushroom, Homemade Tagliatelle in Garlic and Walnut Sauce and Fresh Peach stuffed with Amaretti Biscuits and Chocolate.
A sommelier from Straits Wine Company was also at the studio to introduce the respective wine pairings for the dishes that night!
Chef and his wife, who helps him in the kitchen, so adorable. We started off with Fresh Peach stuffed with Amaretti Biscuits and Chocolate as it needs to go into the oven for sometime. This is really simple to make though!
The recipe appears to be for a pretty large serving, so please adjust accordingly!
You will need
- 15 white peaches
- 75g of butter
- 200g of Amaretti biscuits, crumbed (I personally would want to try with digestives!)
- 30g of cacao powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons of white sugar
- Cut peaches in half and pit them
- Spoon out some flesh in the middle to create a ‘space’ for the filling
- Mix sugar, butter, cacao powder, crumbed biscuits and pulp of peach flesh previously spooned out together to get chocolate mixture.
- Fill the peach with the mixture (kind of look like peach pits!)
- Bake it at 170deg for 30 minutes or till brown
- 500g of potatoes
- 50g of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of milk
- Boil a pot of salted water and add potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes till potatoes are tender but still firm to the touch. Drain potatoes out
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and milk over low heat till butter is melted
- Using a potato mashed or electric beater, slowly blend the milk mixture with the potatoes until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- 300g of salted cod (Fresh cod will do too!)
- If using salted cod, soak the cod for 3 days. Change water daily.
- Boil the fish for about 10-15 minutes until it becomes tender (we noticed that chef puts some root vegetables in the boiling pot as well, I think it helps to remove fishiness)
- 200g of porcini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Chicken stock
- Chopped parsley (as a garnish)
- Warm a nonstick pan with olive oil and garlic cloves
- Slice porcini mushrooms and saute them till they are toasted
- Add a ladle of chicken stock and salt to taste
- 300g of flour
- 3 eggs
- 1-2 spoons of water
- Add eggs to the flour and mix together till consistency of dough is smooth and elastic
- Add a bit of water if the dough gets too dry
- Place the dough in the pasta machine to flatten it and cut into layers of you desired width (I guess you can do this manually too)
- Leave the paste to dry for awhile
- Boil the pasta for a few minutes in boiling water
- Saute the pasta with the walnut sauce and serve warm
- 150g of walnut, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 slices of square bread
- Milk to soak the bread
- Knob of butter
- Soak bread in milk
- Put chopped walnut, garlic and bread in a blender and blend well
- In a pan, warm the sauce with butter and water
Love this notebook that was in the goodie bag every participant will recieve, along with a apron!
Thank you Fairenza, Zinuan and Clara from AFC and the DBS Team for the invite. Kudos to DBS Indulge for creating foodie experiences and it was indeed an enjoyable and informative evening.
Look out for the next DBS Masterclass with Chef Ronnie Chua of Tatsuya happening soon on 20 July 2012! Check out the event here.
Orchard Central #07-02
181 Orchard Road
Tel: +65 68344829 (AFC studio)
Tel: +65 68358838 (office)